Smartphone ownership when you look at the United Stated has increased as time passes 1 including among homosexual, bisexual, along with other males that have intercourse with guys (MSM)2. Smartphone geosocial-networking applications (“apps”) can be utilized among MSM to meet up partners that are sexual. Increased use of smart phones together with the typical utilization of apps to locate intimate lovers led CDUHR detective Dr. Dustin Duncan and their collaborators to examine the relationships between app use and health that is sexual MSM.
Characterizing App Use
Among an example of young black colored MSM living in Gulfport, Mississippi; Jackson, Mississippi; and New Orleans, Louisiana, 76% utilized apps. People who used apps reported their most frequently utilized apps as Jack’d (69.8%) accompanied by Adam4Adam (41.5%) and Grindr (35.9%). Individuals utilized an average of 8.2 various apps and invested on average 2.1 hours in the apps daily. The average number of “app-met partners” with whom they engaged in insertive intercourse was 1.19; almost one third of the encounters were condomless although a minority (17%) used apps to seek sexual partners. Additionally, over one fourth of individuals had been unacquainted with the HIV status of the app-met lovers. High amounts of condomless lack and sex of awareness of partners’ HIV status warrant research of intimate risk using among app-using MSM 5.
Contextualizing App Utilize</p>
Intimate risk among software making use of MSM had been examined utilizing a test of 174 app-using MSM in new york. The analysis addressed 6 contextual facets linked to app use and investigated the partnership between these facets and condomless sex. A big part (63.2%) utilized apps when experiencing unfortunate, whenever utilizing liquor (51.1%) as soon as utilizing any medications (25.9%). Individuals had been almost certainly going to take part in both insertive and receptive condomless intercourse whenever apps had been getting used when making use of any medications or when working with apps for transactional sexual encounters 6.
Fighting HIV through App Use
Apps show their usefulness that is potential among and medical care providers trying to reduce the chance of HIV among MSM. Among an example of 169 app-using MSM in London, 63.9% reported willingness to make looking for mexican women use of apps for HIV avoidance, and specifically apps to serve as reminders for HIV screening. Willingness to utilize apps for HIV prevention ended up being greater those types of reporting current binge consuming and club drug use 7 that is recent.
Current geosocial-networking applications have been completely used to supply HIV-related interventions 8 and also have the prospective to be utilized for other MSM health issues substance use, intimate partner physical violence, and intimate danger using. App-based sexual wellness interventions focusing on MSM ought to be developed, provided MSM’s willingness to make use of apps for HIV prevention.
- Pew Analysis Center. Social media marketing Use Continues To Increase in Developing Nations, but Plateaus Around Developed Ones. 2018 june. http://assets.pewresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2018/06/15135408/Pew-Research-Center_Global-Tech-Social-Media-Use_2018.06.19.pdf. Accessed 24 Sept 2018.
- Grov C, Ventuneac A, Rendina HJ, Jimenez RH, Parsons JT. Perceived need for five different medical issues for homosexual and bisexual males: Implications for brand new guidelines in wellness training and avoidance. United states Journal of Men’s Wellness. 2013;7(4):274-284.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Geosocial-networking app usage habits of gay, bisexual, as well as other males that have intercourse with guys: Survey among users of grindr, a mobile dating app. JMIR Public Wellness andSurveillance. 2015; 1(1):e4.
- Queiroz, Artur Acelino Francisco Luz Nunes, de Sousa, Бlvaro Francisco Lopes, de Araъjo, Telma Maria Evangelista, de Oliveira, Francisco Braz Milanez, Moura MEB, Reis RK. Overview of risk behaviors for HIV illness by males who possess intercourse with males through geosocial phone that is networking. Journal associated with the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care.2017;28(5):807-818.
- Duncan DT, Park SH, Hambrick HR, et al. Characterizing geosocialnetworking app use among young black colored men that have intercourse with males: A multi-city cross-sectional study in the southern usa. JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2018;6(6):e10316.
- Goedel WC, Duncan DT. Contextual facets in geosocial-networking smartphone application usage and engagement in condomless rectal intercourse among homosexual, bisexual, as well as other males who possess intercourse with men whom utilize grindr. Intimate Wellness. 2016;13(6):549-554.
- Goedel WC, Mitchell JW, Krebs P, Duncan DT. Willingness to make use of mobile apps for HIV prevention among males who’ve intercourse with guys in London: Web-based study. JMIR uHealth and mHealth. 2017; 5(10):e15.
- Cao B, Gupta S, Wang J, Hightow-Weidman LB, Muessig KE, Tang W, Pan S, Pendse R, Tucker JD. Social networking Interventions to advertise HIV Testing, Linkage, Adherence, and Retention: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Med Web Res. 2017;19(11):e394.
For more info, contact Dustin Duncan at email@example.com
This work had been sustained by NIDA (P30DA011041, PIs: Deren & Hagan); My Brother’s Keeper, Inc; Wilfred L and Ruth SF Peltz Research Scholarship, granted through the newest York University College of Arts and Science Dean’s Undergraduate Research Fund (PI: William C Goedel); and nyc University School of Medicine Start-Up analysis Fund.
The guts for Drug utilize and HIV analysis (CDUHR) is definitely an interdisciplinary research center that concentrates on public medical issues linked to HIV, hepatitis C, and medication usage.
Center for Drug utilize and HIV analysis NYU College of worldwide Public wellness 665 Broadway, 11th Floor New York , NY 10012
Mobile: 212.992.6741 Fax: 212.995.4877 E-MAIL